Airsoft CT Home
View Unanswered Posts
View New Posts
View Active Topics
Mark All Forums Read
Airsoft CT Privacy Policy

Binky's Ares Tavor Tar-21 Review.

Post subject: Binky's Ares Tavor Tar-21 Review.
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:27 am

#1 "woos" in all of Yew Ess of A

So this gun has been reviewed umpteen times by any number of people, including Moondog, so I won't be going in-depth like they did. This will simply be my own observations. Oddly enough, the quality control tag on this gun was from 2009, so I'm assuming that these have not been flying off the shelf lately. Also, the relatively poor MARS sight version is now cheaper than the full size Dark Earth (tan) version with the rails that I purchased.

Every review I read mentioned that these things had horrible air seals, which were responsible for the poor performance out of the box. I'm personally more interested in the platform than stock performance so this was slightly moot to me. That said, there are some proprietary parts in this gun, which can make upgrading it annoying if you're used to just building M4's.

The gun comes in a decent box with everything needed short of a battery. This includes a metal midcap, a metal flash hider to replace the orange plastic, and a feed tube for it. I found some difficulty fitting this mag into the mag-well with the rifle shouldered. The MAG Midcaps I used are plastic and did not get caught up as there were no edges as there are on the metal midcap supplied by Ares.

With .20's the gun didn't even shoot 270. Obviously, this gun suffers from the same airleak the others do as I believe they should be shooting approximately 330. I'll be adding a o-ringed air nozzle and a tighter cylinder head to fix this before bothering with an upgraded spring.

Spring replacements are simple and can be done by simply un doing a screw in the back and releasing the spring guide. No removal of the gearbox is required.

The barrel is a standard barrel, no tight bore included as some of the reviews have noted. That said, the accuracy of the gun is fantastic, despite the low FPS. Range obviously is poor compared to what I prefer, but fixing the air leak should help that. Hop up adjustment at present is also poor, and I'm assuming thats due to it not having enough power to follow through. Maxed out, the bb moves slightly upward then falls off at about 100-150 feet. I did note that its moving in the same direction at that point. Replacing the hop up will be something I'll look into when I take the gear box apart but at present I believe fixing the airleak will give me what I'm looking for with the stock hop up unit. The hopup unit is part of the gear box (proprietary parts..) and it's accessible by moving the charging handle. The bolt catch releases the dust cover over the hop up.

In this picture you can see the push button on the for grip, where the sling mounts are located, the charging handle to access the hop up(which is on the other side), the fire selector, and both iron sights folded down. I've left the orange flash hider in place as I plan on using this gun at Pine Plains and if memory serves me correctly, they require it.

Here you can see the opposite side. Rails are on this side, as is the push pin to open the the butt plate. The fire selector on this side is merely an indicator. It'd need to be reversed along with the charging handle to be setup for a south paw. Both Iron sights are swung up or out to rest in their upward positions in this picture. An ACOG fits perfectly over the rear sight post with the iron sight down. Mag release is right before the magazine. Some have expressed concern with inadvertently releasing the magazine when maneuvering with the gun, but I have yet to experience that. I can see how it'd happen, but I've been unable to replicate it with normal use.

Trigger response on this gun is wonderful. It has a nice crisp feel to it and responds instantly. I'm using an 11.1v 1500 mah battery on it so that may have something to do with it. Please note that you can pretty much only use batteries that'd fit in a buffer tube of an M4 for this one. This means the slightly larger Gforce 25c 11.1V 1800 mah batteries I purchased are just a tad too big. Battery/spring access is accessible by pushing out a push pin and rotating the butt stock down. I ended up swapping the mini connector to a deans as all my batteries use them.

The gun feels solid. As stated, I bought this more for the platform than stock performance, and I'm thrilled with that. Not a rattle to be found. Everything is solid. The front hand grip has a two pin push button for activating the stock MARS reddot/laser setup or what ever you feel like wiring up and mounting to the rails. Shouldering it is perfectly comfortable with no gear on. With a plate carrier, I found it slightly awkward in the shoulder region due to the extra mass, but nothing I couldn't manage. I'll have to adjust things to use this to better effect. The standard iron sights are of the flip up variety and work reasonably well for what they are. I'm not much of a person for sighting with airsoft, so this is moot for me.

There's a sling mount up front that's reversible (everything on this gun can be setup for ambidextrous use), and a hole in the back of the gun for a paracord sling mount. The first day I used this I used a single point sling and that left a lost to be desired. I later ordered an IDF 2 point sling that is a wonderful improvement. Click here for a review of the IDF Improved 2 Point sling from Zahal.org.

Once I get this thing properly outfitted I'll update on the performance once again. If you plan on leaving this gun stock, I wouldn't purchase it. You can easily buy a cheap clone gun from Echo1 or A&K that will offer much higher performance straight out of the box, albeit while sacrificing build quality and reliability elsewhere. If you don't have a problem with updating a few pieces in a weird gear box design and like unique bullpup rifles, you may want to consider this.

Post subject: Re: Binky's Ares Tavor Tar-21 Review.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:18 pm

E1

Hey I plan on doing some upgrading to my Tar in a few months. So far I've only replaced the spring. I plan on getting that air nozzle replaced and plan on getting a tightbore, do you know the length for the dark earth model that would fit?

Have you done much to yours? anything you recommend? anything you have to say would be appreciated

thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Binky's Ares Tavor Tar-21 Review.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:11 pm

#1 "woos" in all of Yew Ess of A

So, yeah.. I've had to overhaul mine as it was one of the early ones. The gun is very easy to work on but leaks like a civ if you don't do something about it. You'll want to replace the piston head with a ported one to push the oring out to meet the cylinder walls as the stock one does not do that. I had to drill my piston head out to get to where the screw is on mine. It takes an M16 length inner barrel if I remember correctly. I also teflon taped my cylinder head before reseating and replaced my airnozzle with a M16 compatible one with an oring in it as well. The gears in the gun are solid and i've run a lipo on it from the get go with nothing more than a jam taking me out of the game. With an 120 spring I shoot about 380 or so FPS with .25's now vs the 260 -270 I was getting stock. If you need help I know the guns inside out.. even wired the push button to work with a PEQ light/laser combo.