View Active Topics
Mark All Forums Read
Airsoft CT Privacy Policy

Review: Safariland 6005

Post subject: Review: Safariland 6005
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:14 pm

Zombie Kill of the Week

HISTORY AND BACKROUND:
Safariland has been around for more than 45 years, and has made some of the best and most innovative products for the law enforcement, competitive shooting and military industries. Neale Perkins launched a holster business from his garage in Sierra Madre, California in 1964. The company became named after the African safaris he and his father did together. Since then, Safariland quickly went from making a few holsters to more than 5,000 within a few months. (All information above was taken from Safariland’s website directly)

ORDERING:
Ordering the Safariland was as simple and easy as any other airsoft product thus far. You are asked to fill out some questions, such as address, email, credit card information, and a coupon code (may vary).

SHIPPPING AND DELIVERY:
As far as shipping goes, the options are up to you. It can change from Next Day Air (one day delivery), to Ground (five to seven business days delivery). After you open the box and having a field day with the bubble wrap and shipping peanuts, you should fine it in a Safariland clear bag (made of thick plastic).

MATERIALS:
The holster is made from a heavy duty plastic. Safariland calls this their “Thermal-molded SAFARILAMINATE” construction, which is excellent at protecting the weapons sights.

BODY AND FUNCTIONS:
The Safariland 6004 holster is built for comfort as well as functionality. The holster features a Self Locking System (SLS) rotating system which is excellent for tactical situations encountered today. The hood on the 6004 holster can only be released by being simultaneously pushed down and rotated forward and actually becomes more secure when upward force is applied. The STX Tactical finish of the holster is rugged, protecting the gun in scrape, scratch and dent incidents. Molded sight track and soft material inside the holster, which Safariland calls “SafariSuede,” protects the gun’s sights and finish. A special feature of the 6004 holster is the double leg strap and the leg shroud. These two features combined equal comfort and stability in the holster position on the leg. Another awesome feature is the adjustable tension. This allows the user to adjust the tension in the holster, against the weapon. This way, it is not wobbling around inside the holster, it is nice and secure.

PROS:
• Comfortable
• Versatile
• Sturdy/ has much stability
• Made of excellent material
• Interior padding to keep your weapon from scratching
• Adjustable tension to keep your weapon secure
• Looks awesome

CONS:
• Personally, I found that it is not as easy draw your weapon from this holster as fast as a Serpa tactical holster. The reason for this is because; to draw the weapon you have to use your thumb and push down and forward, as appose to the Serpa where you only need to push down with your finger to release tension. Again, this is a Con for me personally and nothing to do with the manufacture.
• That’s it!

PRICE AND RETAILERS:
The Safariland 6004 holster is available at the following locations:
http://www.safariland.com
http://www.copquest.com
http://www.copsplus.com
http://www.opticsplanet.net
http://www.lapolicagear.com
http://www.uscav.com
http://www.galls.com

The price new from these great retailers can range anywhere from $117 to $150. The price change is determined on which weapon type is made to fit.

CONCLUSION:
I give this product nine out of ten. The reason for this is because of the build, comfort, and durability. I did not give this a ten out of ten is because it is not as “High Speed” as a Serpa holster. Once again, this is only a personal preference.

In conclusion, I am extremely pleased with the holster. Safariland continues to make outstanding equipment for personal/recreational, law enforcement, and military equipment. This is an outstanding product, and will last you many uses to come. You go Safariland!

R.I.P. Special Tactics Airsoft Team

Post subject: Re: Review: Safariland 6005
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:46 pm

E4

Did you copy this from somewhere?

OP: Redstar 1 +2
OP: Enduro Challenge 08 + 09
OP: Toys 4 Tots 1 + 2 NJ
OP: Northern Wind 4
OP: GZA Wolcott CT 06-08
OP: Northern Light
And the list goes on.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:51 pm

Zombie Kill of the Week

Yes, my word document.

But, I did write this.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:38 pm

Like A....

A Good review Noah, but imo it is a little incomplete and I will supplement it if you don't mind.

More on Body and Functions
One of the most important features of safariland drop-leg holsters is the straps used to secure them to the leg. Typically other drop legs will either move on your leg if not tightened enough (slowing you down) or must be tightened to an uncomfortable level that constricts your leg similar to how knee pads can (though not nearly as severe). What makes the straps on safariland leg shrouds so special is their elastic nature. When tightened correctly the holster will not move and will not be too tight. In my experience with dropleg gear, the only other company that I have encountered that can mimic this level of security and comfort is the strap system used in HSGI's dropleg platforms (will review this in the future).

This secure platform provides the operator with consistency that promotes the development of muscle memory. If you practice drawing your sidearm in various positions and stances that you find yourself in during a game (or combat for the real guys) you are able draw your pistol without having to adapt to any movement of the shroud itself, only the position of your leg. I agree with Noah that the serpa allows for a faster draw due to the simplicity of the release mechanism, however, I dispute that an operator who trains with either would develop muscle memory to the point where the difference could be measured in a few hundred microseconds (a microsecond is 1/1000 of a millisecond). However this sort of result is impossible to achieve without hours upon hours of practice and understanding the technique required to achieve the fastest results.

When training to develop muscle memory with a safariland, your hand must consistently make contact in the right places. As soon as your hand comes down to grip your sidearm your thumb should already be on the stud on the side of the rotating hood; the rotation motion should start as soon as your thumb depresses the stud as you are drawing. With practice, the motion is akin to that of a serpa in that your results are as if the retention method of either one wasn’t there in the first place.

In conclusion to the functions, Noah’s one con can be thwarted with familiarity to your equipment. However there is another con not taken into account.

PROS:
-More durable than any other plastic holster.
-Best ratio of retention and ease of use. (the position of the thumb stud on the rotating hood is on the inside facing your body, it is much less likely to be affected by external elements than the serpa)

CONS:
-rotating hood mechanism can be jammed by sand, affects performance but unless it is really bad will not fully inhibit use.
-the less costly single strap variants are not as secure on your leg

6004? 6005?
The title of this thread brings up the 6005, but the 6004 is mentioned in the review more often. The differences are very slight and come down to personal preference. Basically it comes down to the strap used to secure the holster’s shroud to the belt. The 6004 uses an elongated Velcro strap that is folded over the belt itself and is secured by a small Velcro closure to keep the fold in place. The 6005 has a 2 piece strap. One end is placed on the belt while the other is attached to the shroud, they are brought together by a buckle. The 6004 is more secure because it is all one piece made of the same material, however the 6005 lets you ditch the holster faster if you feel like taking it off quickly or you want to lighten up so you may move faster.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:57 pm

Zombie Kill of the Week

Rock,

You are extremely helpful.

I have not had this item long, and I did not know that sand can jam the rotating hood mechanism.

Also, the model that I reviewed is a 6005 model, and I did not mean to write "6004" in the review.

Again, I appreciate all the information you provided me.

I will edit my first post so future readers will have more information.

Thankyou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:47 am

#1 "woos" in all of Yew Ess of A

Excellent write up between the two of you guys!